School construction – Scuola di Polcenigo
Region: Friuli Venzia Giulia, Italia
Implemented on: Local level
Target group: Local authority, students, teachers, building companies
The City of Polcenigo wanted to build a new wing of the school that fulfilled the criteria of earthquake resistance, being a near to zero energy building and including rainwater use. 12 classrooms were needed: 5 for primary school, 5 for secondary school and 1 for plural classroom activities. Importance has been attached to the use of wood-based materials, the reduction of thermal bridges and high-quality and energy efficient glazing. A 8m2 solar thermal plant for the production of hot water is integrated. In terms of saving water, rainwater is used for cleaning, fire fighting water and toilets.
- Building an highly energy efficient and healthy school;
- Involve students and teachers in a training course on sustainable construction: Lectures and study visits will be carried out to understand the principles of sustainable building and construction in wood.
- Total costs: € 1,070,000.00
- Financed by funds of the City and through regional and provincial government grants.
- School built in energy class A, with a reduction in fuel consumption by about 50% compared to the national legislation with a consequent reduction in CO2 emissions;
- Energy certification for buildings;
- Awareness raising and improved knowledge on energy and sustainable buildings.
- Time for completion were very short (integrated contract and prefabricated wooden structure), and the results are excellent;
- It would be interesting to monitor the real consumptions of the building when it comes into operation;
- Involving students and teachers in the construction of the new school were a success.