Refurbishment School Sonthofen to Passive House standard
Region: City of Sonthofen, Germany
Implemented on: Local level
Target group: Building stakeholders
The project is a total refurbishment with high energy and spatial standards of the high school in Sonthofen at running school business. Integrated planning have been taking into consideration ecological and economic criteria such as energy saving, life cycle costs and the use of regional and sustain-able construction materials. A reduction of follow-up costs and maintenance of the building value in the long term could be reached as well as a reduction of the use of fossil energies and of CO2 emissions of over 80%.
- Correct deficits in the construction, also in terms of safety and function at running school business integrating ecological and economic criteria;
- Reduction of follow-up costs and maintenance of the building value in the long term;
- Reduction of the use of fossil energies and of CO2 emissions of over 80%;
- Integrated planning involving the architect, all specialist planners and the school;
- Transferability of the experiences to other school buildings of the same construction type.
- Total costs 17 Mio. Euro
- Funding from Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (DBU): 125.000,00 €, for the analysis of the building structure and planning;
- CO2 emissions of the high school are reduced by more than 80% compared to the old building (=- 440 tons per year);
- An analysis of life cycle costs allows for reducing follow-up costs for single construction parts and a longer life time for certain parts.
- Short transport distances for regional construction materials..
- Refurbishments of existing buildings for more energy efficiency are worth the costs in the long term due to lower running costs;
- The re-use of existing construction material saved energy and costs compared to a new construction;
- The experiences can be transferred to other school buildings of the same construction type.