Energy and environmental quality assessment of buildings: Protocol VEA
Region: Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy
Implemented on: Regional level
Target group: Municipalities, house builders
From 31 October 2011, the region Friuli Venezia Giulia has adopted a procedure for the as-assessment of energy and environmental quality of buildings (Protocol VEA) to promote a better quality of living in terms of comfort and to reduce the environmental impact of buildings. The certification VEA started with a certification of the design of the new building or of the renovation is updated in case of changes in the design and is finalised at the end of construction “as built”. The certification is entered in an energy and environmental register of buildings.
- Contribution to the EU 20-20-20 targets and objectives of the EU Directive for energy buildings near zero in 2018/2020;
- Sustainable development of the region, preserving the historical identity of the city; and promote the maintenance of historical characters and typological buildings;
- Increasing the use certified quality and eco-friendly materials;
- Promote vocational training, participatory planning and taking informed decisions in construction.
- Public money for developing of the strategy and for ARES staff working with the protocol.
75 buildings have been certified so far.
- Difficulties encountered: lack of training by professionals, lack of trust in new tools and in the beginning conflicts and overlap between national energy certification VEA certification;
- The tool is innovative because it not only analyse the energy performance of the building but also the environmental loads, consumption of resources and interior comfort.