Network for sustainable construction in Cold Climate
Region: Norrbotten, Sweden
Implemented on: Umeå region
Target group: Energy stakeholders
In 2020, Umeå region aims at being world leading in sustainable building in cold climate. This vision, and later on the legal requirements of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive were important driving factors for establishing the ”Network for Sustainable Building and Administration in Cold Climate” in Umeå. It includes companies, organizations and the public sector in a joint effort for creating a market for sustainable buildings in North Sweden.
- In 2020, Umeå region aims at being world leading in sustainable building in cold climate;
- Create a market for sustainable buildings in Northern Sweden;
- Involve all parts of the building chain and contribute to a faster change in the building- and administration chain towards more energy efficiency.
- Costs of about 640.000 SEK (=64.000 Euro) per year.
- Financing by membership fees and by project funding of the Swedish Energy Agency´s project (programme LÅGAN for 2011-2012).
- Increased understanding of building process and an sstablished meeting place leading to improved collaboration and interaction between all actors within the building chain;
- 50 member of the network were actively working with and improving of quality programme for the development of a big new residential area in Umeå;
- Members of the network have actively contributed to improve development schemes in Umeå region, incl. land distribution questions;
- Implementation of several concrete projects.
- Important to keep interest up for the network and ensure an active participation of the majority of members over a longer time period;
- Important to realize concrete results that answer member’s expectations.
- Success factor: members signed a Letter of Intent when they joined the network. By that, they commit themselves to both contribute to the network and to learn from the network;
- Recommendation: Start with an intensive phase of consultation and discussion with potential members of the network to be clear about expectations, and check, whether this kind of network is the most suitable instrument.